The Preservation Foundation has compiled a list of some of the most historic places throughout Palm Beach, so that visitors and tourists to Palm Beach can use it as an formational Self Guided Walking Tour.
1. Brazilian Court Hotel, 1925, Rosario Candela, architect; 1936, Maurice Fatio, architect. The Brazilian Court Hotel started as a simple residence built in 1924 by an unknown architect in the Mediterranean Revival style. The hotel itself was designed by Candela and Fatio later added the south wing. Landmarked in 1994. 301 Australian Avenue.
2. Pan’s Garden, Botanical Garden of Florida Native Plants, a project of the Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach, 1994, architect, Leslie Divoll, landscape architects, Sanchez and Maddux. Won Florida Trust Award, American Society of Landscape Architects, Florida Chapter Honorable Mention, Florida Native Plant Society Award, Florida Nurserymen and Growers Award, Civic Association and Chamber of Commerce Awards. 386 Hibiscus Avenue.
3. Worth Avenue, architects: Addison Mizner, John L. Volk, Howard Major, Maurice Fatio, Marion Sims Wyeth. The Everglades Club, 1918 – Addison Mizner’s first building in Palm Beach. 356 Worth Avenue. Via Mizner, 1924, Addison Mizner; a complex of varied buildings for commercial and residential use. Mizner lived in Villa Mizner, 5 story apartment complex which connected to his office and showrooms. 337-339 Worth Avenue.
4. Casa de Leoni, 1920, architect, Addison Mizner. Mizner used a Venetian design for this commission for Leonard Thomas. Preservation Foundation Ballinger Award for Restoration, 1995. 450 Worth Avenue.
5. Villa des Cygnes, 1922, architect, Addison Mizner. “House of the Swans” was designed for Major Barclay H. Warburton. Villa des Cygnes was the heart of the Warburton residence which originally encompassed 452 – 460 Worth Avenue. Florida Trust Award, 1994. 456 Worth Avenue.
6. Major Alley, 1925, architect, Howard Major, small row of Bermuda style homes by a noted architect. 411 – 417 Major Alley.
7. 319 Brazilian Avenue, 1910, architect unknown; typical Palm Beach bungalow, Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach Ballinger Award for Restoration, 1995.
8. Society of the Four Arts, 1925, architects, Addison Mizner, 1928 Addison Mizner and Lester Geisler, 1947, John Volk, alterations. Four Arts Library, 1936, Maurice Fatio; Gardens maintained by the Garden Club of Palm Beach. Four Arts Plaza.
9. Lake Trail, 1880s, the earliest “street” in Palm Beach.
10. Sea Gull Cottage, 1886, architect unknown. The oldest house in Palm Beach, built for R. R. McCormick; first winter home for Henry M. Flagler 1893; moved to the oceanfront as part of the Breakers Hotel in 1913; 1984 moved near its original lakefront location by the Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach; adaptive restoration by the Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach, architect, Lindley Hoffman; winner of two Florida Trust Awards, National Paint and Coatings Association Award, and Chamber of Commerce Award. 56 Cocoanut Row.
11. The Henry Morrison Flagler Museum, 1902, architects, John Carrere and Thomas Hastings. Named Whitehall, this was a wedding gift for Flagler’s third wife, Mary Lily Kenan. With an addition of a ten-story 300 room tower on the west side, the building was operated as a hotel from 1925 – 1959. The mansion is now a historical house museum. One Whitehall Way.
12. Royal Poinciana Chapel, 1896, architect unknown. This interdenominational church was constructed at the direction of Henry M. Flagler. The chapel has been enlarged, renovated, remodeled, and is now in its third location. 60 Cocoanut Row.
13. Bethesda-by-the Sea, 1925, architects, Hiss and Weeks. The congregation of Bethesda-by-the-Sea traces its origins to 1889 when services were held in Palm Beach’s one-room schoolhouse. A small wooden building was constructed that year, a second church building was constructed in 1895. Today’s Gothic Church was constructed from 1925 to 1927. Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach Award for Restoration, 1996. 141 S. County Road.
14. Phipps Plaza Historic District. 1924, Phipps Plaza started as a development venture by John S. Phipps. It is built around an elliptical shaped green space with commercial and residential structures. Architects include Maurice Fatio, Howard Major, Addison Mizner, Belford Shoumate, John Volk, and Marion Sims Wyeth. Landmark of the Town of Palm Beach, 1982. Phipps Plaza.
15. First National Bank, 1925, architects, Marion Sims Wyeth, 1927, Maurice Fatio. John Volk designed the Neo-classical addition on the north side of the bank in 1937 and in 1955 replaced Wyeth’s Moorish facade with another Neo-classical temple front. Landmarked 1991. 255 S. County Road.
16. Old Daily News Building, 1925, architects, Harvey and Clarke; 1927-28 Addison Mizner. Henry Stephen Harvey and Louis Phillips Clarke were the most sought after commercial architects in the area in the 1920s. Occupying a prominent corner in the Town Hall Square Historic District, this was the original location of the Palm Beach Daily News. The Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach holds the facade easement for this property. Landmarked 1986. 204 Brazilian Avenue.
17. Town Hall Square Historic District. Development of the two block historic area began during the 1920s. The Old Daily News Building, 1925, Harvey and Clark; the Buckley Building, 1925, Harvey and Clarke, is across from Town Hall on the east corner of Chilean and S. County Road; the Lemon Building, 1928, Clark Lawrence, is one of Palm Beach’s few Tudor half timbered structures; Maurice Fatio designed 332 and 339 S. County Road. The buildings at 374 – 378 and 332 – 333 S. County Road were John Volk commissions.
18. Memorial Fountain, Memorial Fountain Plaza, 1929, architect, Addison Mizner. A committee collected $26,000 and persuaded the town to donate land for a park just north of town hall. Mizner donated his services.
19. Town Hall, 1924, architects Harvey and Clark; 1960s, John Volk, alterations. Restoration project of the Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach; Florida Trust Award and two local A.I.A. Awards. 360 S. County Road.
20. Earl E. T. Smith Preservation Park, 1989, architect, Lindley Hoffman, landscape architect, Edward D. Stone, Jr., a project of the Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach. Florida Trust Award, 1992.
Slide the history bar to see architecture on the island over the last 200 years.