Marion Sims Wyeth (1889-1982)
Marion Sims Wyeth was born in New York, New York. He graduated from Princeton University in 1910 and obtained a degree from the Architecture School at the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris in 1914. In New York City, he worked with the American modernist architect Bertram Goodhue and the prestigious firm Carrère & Hastings. In 1919 Wyeth relocated to Palm Beach, while maintaining a New York office with Frederic Rhinelander King. In Palm Beach they formed Wyeth and King in 1932, later renamed Wyeth, King & Johnson in 1944 when William Royster Johnson became a partner. Wyeth was known for his range in styles including Art Deco, Mediterranean Revival, and classical Georgian, French, and Colonial. Wyeth had over 700 commissions, many of which in Palm Beach, including Mar-a-lago (1923-1927 with Joseph Urban), Hogarcito on Golfview Road, and the rectory of Bethesda-by-the-Sea Episcopal Church. Other notable commissions include the Norton Museum of Art (1941) in West Palm Beach, the Florida Governors Mansion in Tallahassee, and Shangri La, Doris Duke’s house in Honolulu, Hawaii. Wyeth was the first Palm Beach architect to be inducted into the American Institute of Architects (AIA) in 1954. He received the Test of Time Award from its Palm Beach Chapter in 1981.
Collection: The collection was donated in 1993 by architect Sidney Neil, who worked with Johnson after Wyeth’s retirement in 1975. The collection includes 13,000 architectural drawings and over 300 photographs.