Founded in 1886 as a community project, the Little Red Schoolhouse was the first schoolhouse in southeast Florida. Its first seven scholars were taught by Miss Hattie Gale, the 16-year-old daughter of the Reverend Elbridge Gale, former Professor of Horticulture at Kansas State Agriculture College who came to the Lake Worth area of Florida to be a minister and local botanist.
In its original location, approximately one mile north of the Royal Poinciana Bridge, on the Lake Trail in Palm Beach, the first school served the children of all the families around Lake Worth. Children arrived by boat, bicycle, or on foot, and were taught together in one room. In the 1890s enrollment rose to 35 students including many pioneer names such as Dimick, Maddock, and Reese.
Palm Beach’s one-room school ceased operation in 1901 after which it became a tool shed on John S. Phipps's property. Its subsequent history was one of decline and deterioration. In 1960, the Gardener’s Society of Palm Beach refurbished it and the Town of Palm Beach moved the structure to Phipps Ocean Park where it stands today. The school was unused until the Preservation of Palm Beach proposed to lease the schoolhouse in 1990 for its pioneer education program.